Monday, June 25, 2012

Relaxer Update #2

Good Afternoon loves!

My blog had its two month anniversary on Friday and I wanted to say thank you to those who read, comment and to my 12 subscribers. It means soooo much to me that you guys are taking this journey with me and I truly am grateful. I have a lot of ideas, and I plan to have a few new things coming up so stay tuned and thanks again!


I relaxed my hair yesterday after a 10 week stretch! I think it went okay. I still have to trim my hair, and if the weather permits I will either rollerset or flat iron (wowow, haven't used any direct heat since the beginning of my journey... maybe I should stick with the no heat trend lol ;). Here's what I did:
  1. The night before, I thoroughly detangled my hair and applied coconut oil to the length. This was done to protect my previously relaxed hair to decrease the risk of overprocessing and the thinning of my ends due to relaxer run-off during neutralizing/rinsing. 
  2. About a half hour before my relaxer, I coated my entire scalp, my nape, my forehead and around my ears with vaseline to prevent burning. 
  3. I relaxed using the half and half method.
    • Relaxing the back two halves first, rinsing, using my mid relaxer protein step (using ORS replenishing pack, left in the hair for 2-3 mins), rinsing, and leaving neutralizing shampoo in while relaxing the front half. After the relaxer was applied to the front half and smoothed, it was also rinsed, received the protein conditioner and then was neutralized (let it sit for 10 mins, then neutralized a few more times). The mid relaxer protein step after the rinsing and prior to neutralizing prevents that limp, dead feeling that many experience after a fresh relaxer. 
  4. After neutralizing, I then deep conditioned with Nexxus Humectress for 30 mins with heat using my heating cap.
  5. After rinsing out the conditioner, I t-shirt dried for 5 minutes, then added my leave-ins (Rusk Smoother leave-in conditioner and pure argan oil) and then allowed my hair to air dry.
My hair came out pretty smooth, with no post-relaxer breakage! Now for pics...
 
Left - picture of soaking wet hair after deep conditioning, right - hair 70% dry. 

Last night after my hair dried, I moisturized and sealed with Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer and sweet almond oil. I also applied some of the Bee Mine curly butter to help set the waves. I then did one large bantu knot in the back of my head, in the front I did one knot in the middle and a large pin curl on either side. In the morning, I took them down with some sweet almond oil on my hands and here are the results:

 
Too bad it poured and turned this style into a fail. Good thing I wasn't running late this morning and I was able to take pics lol.

I'll have an official length check + trim coming up soon, as well as my 1 year hairniversary on July 1st!

Thanks for reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...