Monday, May 14, 2012

Tech Talk: The Return of the Tea Rinse

Good afternoon!

I had a fantastic wash day yesterday! Last week I had some issues, I over-moisturized my hair and experienced some breakage because of it :/. My hair felt stringy, limp, weak, and it actually got frizzy. I didn't have time to do a full wash day at the end of last week, so I attempted to save my hair with a quick protein conditioner (organix coconut milk instant repair treatment, review coming soon :). That definitely helped for a few days and helped the mushiness subside a bit, but I knew my hair needed some extra strength. I rolled out the staples to save the day.

My wash day began with a 2.5 hour coconut oil pre-poo and light detangling session. I then shampooed twice with my Shea Moisture moisture retention shampoo and then used Nexxus Keraphix ♥ without heat for 5 minutes while I showered. I then rinsed out Keraphix in lukewarm water and proceeded to do a black tea rinse. I don't know WHY I slack on the black tea rinses. In addition to my being over-moisturized, my hair has also been shedding more than usual. Perhaps the shedding is seasonal, but even if it is I don't care lol, I just want it to slow down. I put my black tea into a spray bottle, streamed it onto my scalp and then spritzed a bit of it on my hair. I left it in for about 10 minutes, then put some Aussie moist on top of it for 1 minute then rinsed. That tea rinse was the truth! My shedding after that wash was minimal... Black tea really can't be beat lol.

Tea rinses are a great way to combat shedding. The tannins in tea have the capacity to reduce hair fall, as well as fatten hair strands to give the hair a fuller appearance temporarily. Black tea, as well as green tea have a healthy supply of tannins to slow shedding quickly and effectively. The caffeine in black tea can also stimulate hair growth. Tea rinses should ideally be done 2 to 3 times a week to see maximum results. Different types of tea can also be used that target other hair care issues. Click here and here to read more information. I generally brew 2 teabags in about 12 ounces of water, letting the tea steep for about an hour. I let the tea cool for a few hours or overnight and then proceed to apply it during my wash day as mentioned above.

So after the tea rinse, I then did a little conditioner doctoring. I opted to do a moisturizing deep conditioner, I mixed Roux Porosity Control with Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle and a bit of coconut oil and sat under my hooded dryer with a shower cap on for about 15 minutes. I then left the conditioner in for an additional 10 minutes and then rinsed. My hair was bananas! It felt so strong, but super soft. Between Keraphix, a tea rinse and Aussie moist my hair is bananas :). I then airdryed my hair and applied the Rusk Smoother Leave-in conditioner and aloe vera juice/water. I opted to do a twist out and here are the results :).
 
The back and the front of the twist out
Thanks for reading :),

2 comments:

  1. your hair regimen sounds good, i'll try this. btw, I'm having a 100+ Follower Urban Decay Giveaway! I hope you enter :)♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! tell me how it the tea rinse works for you. I will def swing by, thanks for telling me!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...