Monday, May 7, 2012

My First Rollerset!

So, yesterday I did something that I promised myself I would never put my hair through (unless I got a cosmetology degree ;), I did my own rollerset. The reason why I shied away from rollersetting is because my hair + me + wet manipulation = epic fail. When I manipulate my hair while wet (unless its in the shower), I get breakage, and generally angry hair. I do most detangling and most manipulation on my hair when its about 70% dry, so I get the best of both worlds-- the strength of dry hair, with the elasticity of wet hair. After giving it some thought, researching on some of my fav rollersetters (Nadege and Jeni) and gathering some supplies, I mustered up the courage to try to rollerset. I did a standard wash day, I shampooed twice with the shea moisture shampoo, then DCed with Miss Key 10 en 1 super conditioner (light protein) and Aussie moist. I then t-shirt dried for about 10 minutes and then began rollersetting, it took me about an hour and 45 minutes to complete the set. It was frustrating at times...
This picture is of the completed set, lol I was the crankiest after I finished. I set it mostly on one inch rollers, and then I used various smaller rollers for the front. The leave-ins I used to set were the Rusk Smoother Leave-in, aloe vera juice/water, and my dove heat protectant. I had some tangles, so I was not interested in using a rat-tail comb, so the set didn't get as smooth as it could of, especially at the roots. I let it air-dry for about 3 hours, then set under the dryer for about 20 minutes to make sure that my roots were dry. The set came out okay, but the back was mostly straight because I used bigger rollers in the back. I'm just lucky I was only 3 weeks post so it didn't come out looking too crazy lol.
 
These pictures are of the completed set that same night. I pincurled it that night, moisturized with Deja's Hair Milk (review coming soon!), and sealed with sweet almond oil. Sometime the next day (after lounging around on the couch :),  I took the pincurls down and got this:
 
tossed a headband in it ;) lol

I'll add some shots of the back later, but as you can see they're way curly, and they held up pretty well throughout the day. Clearly, I still have some work to do to perfect the rollersetting technique. Can't wait!

Thanks for reading :),

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...