Friday, April 27, 2012

Product Review: The Science of Black Hair

http://blackhairscience.com/buy_book.htmlThis is my first product review, which is ironically not actually a hair product lol. This review is about a book that has certainly revolutionized my view of hair care. The Science of Black Hair by Audrey Davis-Sivasothy is an amazing source of information on all things pertaining to textured hair. When I first began my hair journey, many of the things I read were opinion pieces and just techniques that others found that helped them to successfully achieve their hair goals.  For me, its important that I understand the basics of a system and why a certain approach would fix a specific problem. The Science of Black Hair began with discussing the structure of the hair and scalp, as well as the most common mistakes made when trying to take care of textured hair. The book then moves into a full explanation of various healthy hair practices, as well as a full chapter based on the importance of hair product selection (as well as a great suggested list of products). The author also does a great job of debunking common myths (i.e. the idea that black hair can't grow), as well as putting a name to common phenomena, like the shoulder length plateau. Many of the techniques of protective styling, low manipulation styling and smart heat use are all covered in this book--its like the encyclopedia of black hair health. I would say that this book is invaluable to anyone who is just starting their hair journey, or to veterans who would like more information on how to take their successes to the next level. I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone regardless of their hair's condition, after all there's always room for improvement ;).

*Note: I felt it particularly important to mention this book because later on when I make notes or write posts relating to specific hair care topics, this book, as well as a few of my favorite hair sites: Black Hair Planet, Hairlista and Keep It Simple Sista, are where I have gathered the bulk of my information.

Rating: 5 out of 5

Thanks for reading :),

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...