Thursday, August 9, 2012

Product Review: Nexxus Signature Line

Good evening!

If you have ever read any of my wash day posts, especially recently, you'll notice that any of various Nexxus products are featured on wash days. I have to admit, when I first started my journey in 2011, I was not impressed. I was expecting these products to work magic, but after realizing that there is no magic product, I noticed it was more about determining the proper placement of a product in your regimen to obtain optimal results. After figuring out where Nexxus belonged in my hair care routine, these two of us have been madly in love lol. I use and own the bulk of the Nexxus signature line (excluding the styling products, I don't really use styling products at all) and I have for quite some time. This is definitely going to be a long post, but I promise it will be informative =)...



Nexxus Therappe Luxurious Moisturizing Shampoo

This is one of the few sulfate shampoos that I still own. I use this whenever I feel like I have build up or if I have been using a lot of silicone (like if I were to heat style or rollerset). This is a good moisturizing shampoo, with a pearly, somewhat thick consistency similar to that of most moisturizing sulfate shampoos. It smells like fresh coconut and cleans my hair in one lather without over-drying or making my hair feel hard. If you are sensitive to sulfates and silicones, of course this shampoo is most likely not for you. My scalp is sensitive to sulfates so I am just sure to do a hot oil treatment prior to washing and I follow up with my moisturizing sulfate free shampoo (Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo) to ensure that my scalp does not become irritated after use. As far as sulfate shampoos go, this one is pretty good.

Rating: 4.5/5
Claims:  Therappe Luxurious Hydrating Shampoo, now enhanced for superior salon performance and advanced moisturization, is specially formulated with Rosemary, Chamomile and Nettle, gently cleanses for nourished, healthy looking hair.
Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Glycol Distearate, Polyquaternium-10, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Gylcerides, Fragrance (Parfum), Cocamide DEA, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Coumarin, Panthenol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Methylisothiazolinone, Honey (Mel, Miel), Magnesium Citrate, Allantoin, Propylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Polysorbate 60, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Stearic Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Myristic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Flour Lipids, Ceramide 3, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil
pH: 7
Type: Moisturizing Sulfate Containing Shampoo

Nexxus Humectress Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner

Nexxus Humectress is a hair forum favorite for a good reason. This is the only protein-containing conditioner that actually manages to moisturize my hair. It always adequately conditions my hair without overmoisturizing. Humectress always comes through in the clutch-- during a stretch, after a fresh relaxer and even works magic for post gym dryness. The consistency is similar to that of a lotion, its more of an instant conditioner, but I've also used it to deep condition with and it does an amazing job. My hair always comes out soft, smooth and moisturized, usually I don't even need to use a leave-in before detangling! Humectress is definitely my go-to conditioner for rollersetting, as it smooths and detangles the hair making rollersetting a breeze :). It's also pH balanced and has an amazing coconut scent, that is particularly persistent when heat is used.

Rating: 5/5--Staple!
Claims: Humectress Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner, now enhanced for an elevated level of moisturization, is specially formulated with Vitamin E, Coconut Oil, and Honey Extract, provides nourishing moisture, leaving hair luxuriously soft, manageable, and full of lustre.
Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Bis(C13-15 Alkoxy) PG-Amodimethicone, Stearalkonium Chloride, Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Fragrance (Parfum), Cetrimonium Chloride,  Dimethiconol, Isostearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, DMDM Hydantoin, C14-15 Alcohols, Alcohol Denat., Limonene, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Sodium Chloride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Panthenol, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Propylene Glycol, Red 33 (CI 17200), Red 4 (CI 14700), Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Blue 1 (CI 42090), Polysorbate 60, Palmitic Acid, Myristic Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Stearic Acid, Honey Extract (Mel, Extrait de Miel), Ceramide 3, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Flour Lipids, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil
pH: 5.5-6
Type: Moisturizing Deep Conditioner 

Nexxus Keraphix Restorative Conditioner

KerapHix definitely has a special place in my heart lol. During my first moisture overload during my journey my hair was limp, breaking and weak, I wasn't sure what protein treatment to try so I checked the suggested list of products in The Science of Black Hair (if you haven't read it yet, you should read it soon!), and opted to try Nexxus Keraphix to fix my moderate-severe breakage. I skated over to my local rite aid, purchased it, used it and 3 minutes later my hair was soft but STRONG, the breakage stopped and I've been in love with this product ever since. This protein conditioner has saved my hair multiple times and has helped it withstand daily wear and tear without that horrific hard feeling a lot of protein conditioners can give to the hair. Keraphix also has suprisingly good slip and it's pH balanced so the hair comes out stronger but super smooth. It also works in the 3 minutes suggested without heat. Since Keraphix is a medium (can be heavy for some) protein conditioner, if used too often it can put your hair into a protein overload, I would suggest using it no more than twice monthly. This conditioner was a staple from the first time I used it and hopefully they won't change the formula so we can stay together for a long, long time lol.

Rating: 5/5--Staple!
Claims: Keraphix Restorative Strengthening Conditioner, specially formulated with Collagen and Keratin Amino Acids, gently repairs damaged hair for softer, stronger, healthier looking hair from root to tip.
Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Aspartic Acid, Quaternium-18, Fragrance (Parfum), DMDM Hydantoin, Isostearamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate, Citric Acid, PEG-9, Benzyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, DNA, Panthenol, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Sodium RNA, Zinc Chloride, Rhodochrosite Extract, Magnesium Citrate, Polyquaternium-10, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Sodium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Propylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Polysorbate 60, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Myristic Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Flour Lipids, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Ceramide 3, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols
pH: 5.5
Type: Medium Strength Protein Conditioner/Protein Reconstructor

I would ABSOLUTELY recommend this line to anyone in need of a good moisturizing deep conditioner or protein treatment that works quickly and effectively. I do want to include a few notes:
These products are not compatible with no-poo or sulfate-free regimens. The bulk of Nexxus products contain a lot of silicone, and if they are not removed regularly by sulfate shampoo usage build up can form and that can lead to breakage. Also for the protein sensitive or for those currently suffering from protein overload, be careful with the Nexxus signature line. Most of the products either contain protein or natural components that may strengthen the hair and that can worsen the hair's condition if protein is not necessary at the time of use.

Aside from those notes however, this line hasn't failed me yet!

Thanks for reading :),

2 comments:

  1. I use the Nexxus Humectress as a deep conditioner as well and I am in love with it. It is a definite staple of mine. I don't get the same results with another conditioner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither do I. It really is a fantastic product!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...